The club was started by 28 civic-minded women in 1905. They met in the lecture rooms of the Universalist Church, The Methodist Church and in members’ homes. Many meetings were held in the home of Mrs. Edward L. Scofield. Membership increased to 44 in the first year. The club was Federated (joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs – GFWC) in 1906 and Incorporated in 1911. The original dues were $2.00 per year.

A clubhouse was certainly in the thoughts of early members. As early as 1909 a fund was started with the fees donated from the lectures of Dr. William J. Long, a Stamford writer.

In 1919 the Club met in the Casino on Suburban Avenue; dues were $3.00. At a special meeting in the parlor of the Presbyterian Church on Broad Street the President, Mrs. Houghton, called the meeting to order. The Club’s 81 members voted unanimously to purchase the home of Mrs. King at 45 Prospect Street. The home housed out-of-town boys attending the King School on Bedford Street.

At one time there were 700 members and many departments, including: Junior, Drama, Civics, Conservation, Garden, Literature and Music. At one point there were 15 drama groups – one even performed at the Waldorf Astoria. A drama library was started in 1921 and collected over 3,000 books. A Woman’s Exchange was organized as an outlet for women’s work: cooking, repairing, knitting, etc. Orders were taken for all kinds of goods – parties were a specialty.

The clubhouse was sold in 1979. Since that date the Club has met at the First United Methodist Church. Special interest groups have include American Home, Bridge, Community Concerns, Drama, Garden Department, International Affairs, Public Affairs, Special Events, Student Scholarship, Trips and Tours and Veterans Affairs.

For over one hundred years the Stamford Woman’s Club has contributed much to our community and has supported many state projects with joyful satisfaction. As our work continues in our second century we will strive to continue sharing our talents and generosity with our city, state and country.

Past Presidents

*Mrs. Everett C. Willard 1905-1908
*Mrs. F. Charles Avery 1908-1911
*Mrs. Edmund D. Smith 1911-1913
*Mrs. Charles D. Ryder 1913-1915
*Mrs. Walter E. Coe 1915-1917
*Mrs. William J. Long 1917-1919
*Mrs. Walter E. Houghton 1919-1921
*Miss L. Florence Holbrook 1921-1923
*Mrs. Raymond R. Gandy 1923-1925
*Miss Emily Louise Plumley 1925-1927
*Mrs. Raymond R. Gandy 1927-1929
*Miss Sara Mead Webb 1929-1931
*Mrs. Clement A. Fuller 1931-1933
*Mrs. Gould Stebbins 1933-1935
*Mrs. Edward O. Thorpe 1935-1936
*Miss Sara Mead Webb 1936-1940
*Mrs. Everett S. Glines 1940-1943
*Mrs. C. Ward Birch 1943-1947
*Mrs. Raymond Styles Dorst 1947-1949
*Mrs. Wilbur D. Canady 1949-1951
*Mrs. Frank H. Kirk 1951-1954
*Mrs. J. Treacy Farley 1954-1955
*Mrs. Harold E. Minnerly 1955-1957
*Mrs. C. Malcolm Skene 1957-1959
*Mrs. Maynard Riker 1959-1960
*Mrs. Robert B. Thompson 1960-1962
*Mrs. Thomas A. Jennings 1962-1963
*Mrs. R. Vernon Radcliffe 1963-1965
*Mrs. Luin P. Fitch 1965-1967
Mrs. Charles D. Campbell 1967-1969
*Mrs. J. Donavan Wells 1969-1970
*Mrs. Harold L. Ohnmeis 1970-1973
*Mrs. Edgar L. Geibel 1973-1975
*Mrs. Richard T. Guilbert 1975-1977
*Mrs. T. Stewart Harris 1977-1981
*Mrs. Gordon A. Stillings 1981-1983
*Mrs. Andrew L. Young 1983-1985
Mrs. Thomas F. Burke 1985-1987
*Mrs. Robert V. Canders 1987-1989
Mrs. Robert V. Mazza 1989-1991
Mrs. Philip E. Nickerson 1991-1993
Mrs. Sidney G. Vass 1993-1995
Ms. Barbara Feinstein 1995-1997
Mrs. Richard Feffer 1997-1999
Ms. Margarete Georgi Waszkis 1999-2003
*Mrs. Terrance Burke 2003-2007
Mrs. Arthur Hutchinson 2007-2013
Mrs. Betty Torpey 2013
Mrs. Robert Martinik 2013-2014